I have recently returned to the Royal Shakespeare Company as Teachers' Programme Developer, managing and delivering training courses for primary and secondary teachers across the UK.
Previous roles have included:
Senior Grants Manager for the Paul Hamlyn Foundation
I had responsibility for Education and Learning through the Arts. I oversaw grant applications and management within the Arts-based Learning Fund and Teacher Development Fund, which collectively awarded £3m of funding each year. A key focus was on evaluation and gathering of evidence relating to arts-based learning in schools across the UK.
Director of Education, Royal Shakespeare Company
As a member of the senior leadership team, and Director of the Education Department I
- established and led an ambitious national and international vision for the RSC's education work;
- initiated the RSC's ground-breaking Learning and Performance Network;
- oversaw the creation of extensive and innovative online education resources;
- managed a department delivering education projects across the UK and internationally;
- oversaw a strategic review of the RSC's Exhibitions and Archives;
- led a national and international consultation on successful ways of teaching Shakespeare; and
- played a significant role in establishing a partnership with the University of Warwick.
Executive Director, arts4 (formerly arts4schools)
I set up and managed my own arts education company which provided cross art-form information, support, training, conferences and resources for those working in the arts and education. Significant projects included
- creating and managing the Inspiring Tomorrow's Audiences' conference – the UK's first conference on digital and online educational resources for schools;
- creative training for science teachers, commissioned by The Wellcome Trust and the DfES;
- the arts4schools website.
I have worked for BBC Radio Drama as a Production Assistant; Cheek by Jowl Theatre Company as Assistant Administrator; Widnes Sixth Form College as Head of Theatre Studies; RSC as Education Manager; Chartered Institute of Management Accountants as Student Support Manager